Finish Carpenter's Manual
This well-written manual covers all aspects of finish carpentry including pricing your work. The advice is sound and this book can save you from from making a number of mistakes.
Includes everything you need to know to be a finish carpenter:
- Assessing a job before you begin
- Tricks of the trade from a master finish carpenter
Easy-to-follow instructions for:
- Installing doors and windows
- Ceiling treatments (including fancy beams, corbels, cornices, and moldings)
- Wall treatments (including wainscoting and sheet paneling)
- The finishing touches of chair, picture, and plate rails
Specialized interior work includes cabinetry and built-ins, stair finish work, and closets. Also covers exterior trims and porches. Includes manhour tables for finish work, and hundreds of illustrations and photos.
The author, Jim Tolpin is a fine writer and he even manages to make this instructional book, an interesting read. If you're interested in finish carpentry this is a great book for you. It even shows how to correct framing and drywall problems early on before they become problems later on.
Business wise, this book has it all -- from figuring manhours, to giving job estimates and to actualy earning money. It is filled to the brim with how-to tips such as scribing a jambless window sill and coping crown moulding. It's one of the best books you can buy on finish carpentry.