This straightforward, easy-to-learn method will help framers, carpenters, and handy homeowners build their skills in rough carpentry and framing. Shows how to frame all the parts of a house -- floors, walls, roofs, door & window openings, and stairs -- with hundreds of color photographs and drawings that show every detail. This book gives beginners all the basics they need to go from zero framing knowledge to a journeyman level, and it provides valuable tips and tables for the experienced carpenter.
Start with the basics! The book begins with types of lumber, nails, and what tools are needed, followed by detailed, fully illustrated steps for framing each building element -- from planning and layout through specific nailing patterns. "Framer-Friendly Tips" throughout the book show how to get a task done correctly and easily.
The book also includes:
- Advanced framing topics for complex walls, roofs, and stairs -- shown step by step for a clear understanding
- Essential details, such as how to install window flashing and pre-hung or sliding glass doors
- Building code requirements (including earthquake and hurricane construction)
- New materials like composite wood products
- Time-saving methods for taking measurements and figuring rafter lengths and angles
- Website access to framing formulas and a glossary to bring you up to speed on framing terms used by contractors and lumberyards (in English and Spanish)