This new edition of the Massachusetts Comprehensive Fire Safety Code is based on the 2012 Edition of NFPA 1: Fire Code. This volume includes the full text of the 2012 NFPA 1, with all State of Massachusetts changes made in place and clearly identified with the letters MA in the margin.
The purpose and the intent of 527 CMR 1.00 is to prescribe minimum requirements and controls to safeguard life, property, and public welfare from the hazards of fire and explosion created by the storage, handling, or use of substances, materials, or devices, or from conditions or materials hazardous to life, property, and the public welfare as prescribed in M.G.L. Chapters 22D and 148.
The scope of 527 CMR 1.00 includes, but is not limited to, the following in accordance with M.G.L. Chapters 22D and 148, and as prescribed by M.G.L. Chapter 143 §96:
- Rules and regulations for the keeping, storage, use, manufacture, sale, handling, transportation, or other disposition of gunpowder, dynamite, crude petroleum, or any of its products, or explosive or inflammable fluids or compounds, tablets, torpedoes, or any explosives of a like nature, or any other explosives, fireworks, firecrackers, or any substance having such properties that it may ignite or generate flammable or explosive vapors or gases to a dangerous extent.
- Rules and regulations to prescribe the location, materials, and construction of buildings to be used for any of the purposes provided in 527 CMR 1.03(1).
- Rules and regulations to prevent or remedy any condition in or about any building, structure, or other premises or any ship or vessel which may tend to become a fire hazard or to cause a fire.
- Rules and regulations to provide adequate safety requirements for the protection of the public in the event of a fire in or about any building, structure, or other premises or any ship or vessel. Such rules shall require that any equipment, system, or construction requirement relating to fire protection of persons or property within said building or structure, be installed in accordance with such applicable requirements as of the date of installation and shall be maintained in accordance with this Code.
- Rules and regulations to provide for the safe storage, use, handling, and manufacturing of corrosive liquids, oxidizing materials, toxic materials, or poisonous gases.
This new code completely replaces 527 CMR 1-50. Click this link to download a PDF of a cross-reference guide between 527 CMR 1-50 and the newly revised Massachusetts Comprehensive Fire Safety Code, 527 CMR 1.00.
CMR 1.00 adopts and incorporates, the provisions of (National Fire Protection Association) NFPA 1: 2012 Edition as modified by 527 CMR 1.05.
If you are a contractor, architect, designer, or builder in the state of Massachusetts, you need this code to stay in compliance!