Building Type Basics for Senior Living, Second Edition
This guide includes material for planning active retirement communities, continuing care retirement communities, assisted living facilities, Alzheimer's facilities, hospices and more.
Thoroughly illustrated with descriptive floor plans, diagrams, and photographs, this practical guide is ideal for today's design professionals. Building Type Basics for Senior Living covers the essentials for the planning and design of housing and care environments for the elderly.
Authored by architects whose firm has handled hundreds of such projects, this nuts-and-bolts guide provides need-to-know information on a range of building subtypes, including:
- Active adult communities
- Continuing care retirement communities
- Assisted living
- Adult day care
- Skilled nursing facilities
- And more!
The authors, pioneers in the field, offer highly illustrative examples of issues that are key to designing structures for the growing over-65 population.
This indispensable guide:
- Asks and answers twenty questions that frequently arise in the early phases of a commission
- Provides project photographs, diagrams, floor plans, sections, and details
- Includes design guidelines for a variety of senior living projects, from creating a continuum of care to working through a maze of regulatory policies
This conveniently organized quick reference is an invaluable guide for busy professionals who want to get moving quickly as they embark on a new project. Like every book in the Building Type Basics series, it provides authoritative information instantly and saves architects, facility planners, and their clients countless hours of research. Engineering consultants will also find in this volume a wealth of information to help them tackle senior living commissions of all kinds.