Evaluating Home Performance
Air leakage and heating efficiency are the two primary unknowns in assessing a home's energy efficiency. This brief covers the best and most efficient way of evaluating these unknowns, identifying problems, and pursuing solutions during a one-time energy intervention.
This technical brief suggests a sequence and logic to the process of:
The following procedures are outlined:
- Evaluating House Pressures
- Testing Performance of Gas Furnaces
- Evaluating System Airflow and Duct Design
- Alternate Airflow Measurements
- Improving System Airflow
- Evaluating Duct Air Leakage
- Sealing Ducts
- Testing Building Airtightness
- Determining Ventilation Effectiveness
- Testing and Reducing Zone Pressures
This publication has been used as a handout in training programs to effectively introduce the EPA's Home Performance with Energy Star criteria to contractors who are new to the program.