Green Roof Construction and Maintenance
Green roofs are becoming the rage. This book, written by an industry expert in green roof design and installation, presents all of the information you need to skillfully design, construct, and maintain green roofs. These aren't some architect's dreams -- you'll find a wealth of practical details gathered through real-world implementations and independent research.
Green Roof Construction and Maintenance explains how to design a green roof, plan for irrigation and drainage, select and place soil and plants, and maintain the entire setup. The book also discusses return on investment, LEED design specifications, and the myriad short- and long-term environmental benefits of green roofs. Filled with step-by-step illustrations and full-color photographs, this is a valuable, hands-on guide to a rapidly emerging trend in the sustainability movement.
Green Roof Construction and Maintenance includes:
- Key questions to ask at each stage of the green building process
- Tested tips and techniques for successful structural design
- Construction methods for new and existing buildings
- Information on insulation, drainage, detailing, irrigation, and plant selection
- Details on optimal soil formulation
- Illustrations featuring various stages of construction
- Best practices for green roof maintenance
- A survey of environmental benefits, including evapo-transpiration, storm-water management, habitat restoration, and improvement of air quality
- Tips on the LEED design and certification process
- Considerations for assessing return on investment
- Color photographs of successfully installed green roofs
- Useful checklists, tables, and charts