NFPA 1005, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Marine Fire Fighting for Land-Based Fire Fighters
Fighting fires on marine vessels call for a unique skill set and situational awareness beyond the scope of land-based operations. NFPA 1005, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Marine Fire Fighting for Land-Based Fire Fighters, addresses the minimum job performance requirements (JPRs) for municipal, industrial, and private personnel with duties responding to fires on ships.
Intended for individuals meeting Fire Fighter I and II qualifications, and also those who have reached the criteria in Chapters 6 and 7 of NFPA 1081, Standard for Facility Fire Brigade Member Professional Qualifications, NFPA 1005 covers general requirements, access, response, communications, and fire control for marine fire incidents.
The new 2019 edition of NFPA 1005 contains considerable changes, including a thorough review of JPRs for marine firefighting for land-based firefighters.
Significant revisions and additions include:
- Updated definitions and terminology to maintain consistency with the latest version of NFPA 1001, Standard on Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications
- Introduction of an annex providing a comprehensive overview of applicable JPRs
- Annex created to outline the 16 Fire Fighter Life Safety initiatives supported by the National Fallen Fighters Foundation
- Requisite knowledge requirements on interacting with vessel personnel during an incident are incorporated into multiple JPRs.
- NFPA 1005 sets the professional standard for fighting marine fires
This authoritative resource delivers crucial information for helping land-based firefighters save lives and reduce loss on shipboard fires.