2023 NFPA 22 Standard for Water Tanks for Private Fire Protection
Help improve building safety by complying with requirements for water tanks that supply private fire protection systems.
NFPA 22, Standard for Water Tanks for Private Fire Protection, offers comprehensive provisions for the design, construction, installation, and maintenance of private fire protection tanks and accessory equipment. The 2023 edition features extensive revisions to improve usability and modernize the standard.
Notable changes include:
- Removal of redundant sections to provide clarity
- Revised sections related to external loads, such as wind, snow, and live load requirements, to recognize other standards, and to replace outdated design approaches
- Updated tank sizing requirements to ensure the consideration of pump suction pressure when designing water tanks
- Amended water tank construction features to align with newly referenced standards and recognition of other applicable standards
- Incorporation of additional valve requirements to improve maintainability
- Inclusion of fill line and suction pipe separation distances to prevent cavitation in the fire pump
- Editorial corrections, such as unit conversions, where applicable
- References updated to the latest applicable codes and standards