Gypsum Construction Handbook, Seventh Edition
This guide is highly recommended for its time-saving, lower-cost methods of installation. Provides a thorough coverage of proficient construction procedures for gypsum, drywall, veneer plaster, cement board, and conventional plaster construction.
A constant companion to architects, engineers, contractors, builders and dealers, journeymen, building inspectors, and code officials to simplify construction using the newest developments in products and systems this is one of the construction industry's longest running, most relied-on references, The Gypsum Construction Handbook was originally published in 1904. For more than a century, and through several editions, the book has become a trusted standard on gypsum application.
You'll find this book to be an authoritative guide on all facets of gypsum construction. It includes the newest product developments, installation methods, fire- and sound-rated construction information, illustrated framing-to-finish application instructions, estimating and planning information, and more.
System descriptions together with full data on products, accessories, tools, equipment, and applications help plan and estimate projects and ensure compliance with performance criteria. Cost- and time-saving techniques keep the work on budget.
New in this Seventh Edition are chapters on sustainable construction methods and products, building movement, fire resistance, heat transfer, sound transmission, and vapor/moisture control. This book is ideal for design professionals, contractors, building inspectors, code officials, students, and apprentices -- anyone interested in gypsum construction!
The Handbook covers both new construction and repair and remodeling and includes:
- Framing Drywall and veneer plaster
- Joint treatment and plaster finishing
- Interior cement board
- Ceilings Conventional plaster
The Seventh Edition features updates in gypsum products, including ultralight panels, glass-mat panels, paperfaced plastic bead, and ultralightweight joint compound.
The book is a comprehensive guide to the selection and use of gypsum drywall, veneer plaster, tile backers, ceilings and conventional plaster building materials. It provides information on current products and systems and describes correct, time- and cost-saving installation methods designed to simplify and speed construction.
The book has served as a standard text for training and apprenticeship classes, a guide for building inspectors and code officials, and a source of detailed product information and installation procedures for building professionals worldwide.
The ICC Evaluation Service has determined that the 2015 Gypsum Manual is in compliance with the International Building Code and International Residential Code and it is therefore an acceptable source of fire-resistance and sound-control systems.
This handbook is perfect for:
- Architects and Engineers: Technical information on gypsum product construction standards, including available system descriptions, fire- and sound-rated construction, limitations and installation procedures.
- Contractors, Builders, and Dealers: Full data on all aspects of gypsum products and accessories, tools and equipment, and applications, including information needed to estimate and plan projects.
- Apprenticeship Training Schools: Tllustrated, easy-to-understand directions for applying gypsum products - from framing to finish.For Journeymen: a comprehensive index of contents and clear, concise, illustrated instructions and techniques for applying gypsum products at every stage of the construction process.
- Building Inspectors and Code Officials: An excellent source of fire, sound and physical test data and proper construction techniques for gypsum products to ensure compliance with performance criteria.
The Handbook contains the latest information about proper gypsum drywall, plaster and cement board construction available at the time of its writing. The text describes framing installation, drywall and veneer plaster construction, joint treatment and plaster finishing, interior cement board construction, and conventional plaster application and the tools required for each job.
The Handbook also covers special engineered systems, product application factors, problems and solutions, and various repair and remodeling techniques.Readers may use the table of contents or fully cross-referenced index to find desired information on drywall, veneer or conventional plaster, or tile backers construction. The book also includes a comprehensive glossary of terms with definitions of terms used throughout the text.
Table of Contents:
- Editorial Committee
- Using the Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Chapter 1: Drywall and Veneer Plaster Products
- Chapter 2: Framing
- Chapter 3: Cladding
- Chapter 4: Backerboard Installation
- Chapter 5: Finishing Drywall Systems
- Chapter 6: Finishing Veneer Plaster Systems
- Chapter 7: Conventional Plaster Products
- Chapter 8: Conventional Plaster Applications
- Chapter 9: Acoustical Ceiling Design and Application
- Chapter 10: System Design Considerations
- Chapter 11: Planning, Execution and Inspection
- Chapter 12: Problems, Remedies and Preventive Measures
- Chapter 13: Safety Considerations and Material Handling
- Chapter 14: Tools and Equipment. Chapter 15: Building Sciences
- Chapter 16: Sustainability
- Chapter 17: USG: America's Building Industry Leader
Here you'll find everything you'll ever need to know about gypsum, drywall, veneer plaster, cement board, and conventional plaster construction!