2021 International Fire Code®
Available October 2020 -- order your copy now to be sure of immediate delivery as soon as it comes off press!
The International Fire Code (IFC) is in use or adopted in 41 states, the District of Columbia, NYC, Guam and Puerto Rico. It contains regulations to safeguard life and property from fires and explosion hazards.
Topics include general precautions, emergency planning and preparedness, fire department access and water supplies, automatic sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, special hazards, and the storage and use of hazardous materials.
Key changes to the 2021 IFC include:
- New requirements for Additive Manufacturing (3-D Printing) equipment and operations for both non-industrial and industrial applications.
- New verification requirements for flame propagation performance of permanently installed artificial combustible vegetation when exceeding certain heights located on roofs or in close proximity to buildings.
- New provisions for emergency responder communication systems.
- New sprinkler requirements for the storage, manufacture and sale of upholstered furniture and mattresses. Also, an automatic sprinkler system is now required for open parking garages exceeding a certain fire area threshold.
- Newly refined requirements for energy storage system (ESS) reflecting the variety of new technologies and applications (in building and standalone) and the need for proper commissioning and decommissioning of such systems.
- A new chapter providing much-needed clarification and specific requirements for the storage of distilled spirits and wines in barrels and casks.
- Reorganized and expanded provisions for construction fire safety with an emphasis on the owner’s responsibilities. The new language requires a site safety plan and designation of a site safety director.
If you live in one of the 41 states that will soon adopt this code, order your copy today to be sure you're on top of all the most current regulations.