2024 International Plumbing Code
The 2024 International Codes have undergone substantial formatting changes as part of the digital transformation strategy of the International Code Council to improve the user experience. The changes, promoting a cleaner, more modern look and enhancing readability and sustainability, include:
- Single column text format and modernized font styles improves readability
- QR Codes replace vertical margin sidebars and arrows to identify code changes more accurately
- Shading for table headers and notes improves locating tables and applicable notes
- Grouping of associated content brings tables and figures immediately after the parent section
- Users have capability to validate authenticity of their book and register it with the ICC to receive incentives.
The 2024 IPC provides minimum regulations for plumbing facilities and allows for the acceptance of new and innovative products, materials, and systems. Plumbing and plumbing fixture related accessibility provisions and requirements from the ICC A117.1 Accessibility Standard are also included, making the IPC the most comprehensive plumbing code.
Important changes in the 2024 IPC include:
- Provisions added for support of buried piping beneath buildings where expansive soil conditions exist.
- Requirement added for tracer wire for buried plastic sewer piping.
- Option added for vacuum testing of DWV piping.
- Plumbing fixture requirements significantly updated for various Group I occupancies.
- Exception added for allowing special locking mechanism for doors to multiple-user toilet facilities.
- Plastic pans for gas-fired water heaters required to be tested in accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723.
- Showerhead flow limited to 2.0 gpm with performance complying with high efficiency requirements.
- Installation standards added for solvent-cemented plastic piping joints.
- Standards added for chemical waste piping materials.